Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Friday, April 19

Adopt a Sibling

Have you seen the billboards about adopting siblings? I think they are sponsored by Hennepin County, but I could be wrong. I've seen them a lot recently and the message really sticks with me. But specifically, on the way to work this week, I saw one and it made me think about what a gift family support and stability is. First of all, if I could, I would adopt every child in the foster system in order to give them a good home, but it just isn't feasible for me and my family (at least right now...).

Second, can you imagine losing your parents and then being separated from the only family you have left? Seriously, even writing it brings tears to my eyes.

But third, it made me realize how precious it is to know that (God forbid) something happens to Jim and me, my children will not only stay together, but there are EIGHT people/families that would immediately embrace them and embed them into their family without a second thought (and several more that would if needed!). I never thought about the peace that gives me. Finn and Korri will NEVER be in the foster system and will always have supportive people around them. Wow. We are so lucky. Coming from a family where I have 28 first cousins, 24 aunts & uncles, all four living grandparents, not to mention both living parents, I've never NOT had family around. And I mean a LOT of family. How sad to be in a world where you are all you and your children have and once you are gone, they only have each other.

And then the thought that they would be split up...breaks my heart into a million tiny pieces. It is because of scenarios like this that I want to take all the hurting children and love and care for them. No child should have to experience the pain of losing their parent(s) AND being separated from the only person they have left...their sibling.

And yes, I know, that kids end up in the foster system for more reasons than just their parents die and don't have any living relatives, but it is just food for thought. If you have family and friends in your life that would step in and truly love and parent your child as their own if you were to pass...that is a gift that not everybody has. Take a moment tonight to be thankful for that sense of peace you get to have as you so go sleep (or put your kids to bed!).

The four of us are so blessed and lucky to have such a wonderfully supportive network of family and friends. We love each and every one of you so much!!

No comments: