Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Tuesday, February 5

Sleep is for the weak

I don't think Finn is exagerating the "pain" he says he feels in his legs any more! When I picked him up from daycare yesterday, one of his teachers said Finn started sobbing that his legs hurt and she did NOT think it was to get attention. So, I gave him Tylenol when we got home and we had a low key kind of night. I noticed in the evening that he looked a little flushed, but didn't think anything of it, since my kids never have fevers, I assumed it was from playing or riding his scooter (or constantly taking the stroller away from Korri!). Both kids were ready for bed just after 7, which is kind of early for them. When I tucked him in, I thought he was warm and sure enough, he had a low grade fever (Korri had one at daycare yesterday, but it was so low, they didn't call me). I told him to take his covers off if he got hot and that I'd check on him later.

Well, when I checked on him at 11:30, his temp was 102, so I gave him Advil, put a light blanket on him (instead of his sleeping bag!), called Jim in a panic (he is the one who deals with this stuff normally!) and set my alarm to check on him in half an hour. Which I did and his temp had gone up to 102.7. Because I knew I wasn't going to get any sleep anyway, I had him come into bed with me (remember, Jim is traveling, of course!) so it would be easier to keep an eye on him and check his temperature. He kept asking for water, which I took to be a good sign. Neither of us slept well, he was clearly uncomfortable and had a deep, hacking cough. Finally just after 3am, his fever broke and he was sweating all over the place (on Jim's side of the bed, hee, hee!) and for good measure, I gave him another does of Tylenol.

After that we slept a little better, but man, I am NOT used to getting less than 3 hours of sleep a night any more. He has a pretty bad cough, but since he seemed fine this morning (and I don't have sick time), I brought him to daycare...we'll see how long that lasts! It was so weird and very unusual for him. I hope it was a bug and not something that will continue to get worse (like RSV or whooping cough or something!). Poor Jim...kept getting texts from me all night. I hope he was able to sleep more than we did since he has meetings all day today! Here's to consuming lots of coffee today :) I wonder if I can get it in an IV?!?!

No comments: