Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Friday, December 21

What to do...

Well, not sure what time today it was supposed to happen, but so far, the world hasn't ended (and I would think the ancient Mayans would be in the Central time zone, no?). Good news...other than having to go in to work today ;) The other good news about today...it is winter solstice, which means starting tomorrow, the day light will only get longer! This year the dark mornings/evenings hasn't affected me negatively quite as much as in past years, but I think sitting facing a window at work helps...at least I get a glimpse of the sun, when it decides to shine...like it is right now :)

With the impending "Request Card" deadline for Finn's High-Five/Pre-K coming up in February for Minneapolis Public Schools (MSP), I've been thinking a LOT about schools and options and logistics and locations and test scores and...etc. Based on our "neighborhood schools" which means MPS would bus from our house, I/we have narrowed it down to two schools. I am planning on setting up a tour at each school but based on the research I've done and data I've found, I'm heavily leaning toward one more so than the other. But the other thing that keeps creeping into the back of my mind and just won't go away...is the option of home-school.

First of all, I do NOT think I have the discipline, organizational skills or structure to actually do it well. Second of all, while I am fairly intelligent, I wouldn't be comfortable doing it passed upper elementary or MAYBE middle school...do YOU remember things like common denominators? I didn't think so. Third, I am fairly confident that I will not be able to give Finn the enrichment that he will most likely need that an actual TEACHER (potentially in a special program) would be able to provide. Fourth, the more I truly think about school today and how different it is than when I went to school, it scares the living crap out of me. I don't want Finn to ever ride a school bus because kids are meaner today than they were and they were mean back then! I don't want him to be picked on or ganged up on or any of those other things that kids do. Not to mention recent national events, which wouldn't be a factor in our decision, but it does weigh on our minds. I was watching one of my shows (yes, I know TV isn't real!) and an 11 year old boy was singled out and ostracized and picked on for being different. It literally broke my heart. AND Finn is so sensitive that I don't want his tender heart to be broken or more importantly, his spirit to be broken.

This is just me thinking things through. In the end, I'm fairly certain we will chose public (or private, I guess) school in lieu of homeschooling but it IS something to think about. On the other hand, I feel like I was picked on a lot in school and it did make me a stronger person (but there are still scars that will never go away). I guess in the end, you just do what you can and be there for your kids when the world imparts its (sometimes evil) will on them. Stacey has always said that parenting the social aspect of/for your kids is the hardest part of parenting. Luckily, up to this point, is hasn't really come up...but it is looming on the horizon and I want to push it back as far and and long as I can. Yes, I admit, I am an ostrich with its head in the sand...and for now, I'm okay with that.

No comments: