Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Saturday, November 3

You've got to stand for something...

 ...or you'll fall for anything.

When did it become okay to stand for nothing? I mean, yes, I'm all for equality and opportunities for all. But why can't you believe in something/anything any more? There is a couple in our ECFE class that are very unorthodox and feel like they have a mission to be different and shove it down everybody else's throats. This week, the mom said she was starting a kindergarten Girl Scout troupe in NE Mpls and felt the need to express to our class that they accept trans-gender youth and you don't have to say the word "God" in their pledge. Then she proceeded to bring the class down the "let's hate the boy scouts because they don't allow gay people" path. Seriously? Look, first of all, none of the kids in our class are trans-gender (they are ALL under 5!) and why is that the focus of your group for KINDERGARTNERS?!?! Second, the boy scouts are a PRIVATE club and have the right to stick to their beliefs and principles. I, personally, don't believe sexual orientation should be a factor in whether or not a child can join a group, but if that is the group's policy, it is their policy. Start your own Gender Equality Scouts club if you don't like their rules! Third, while I don't care who believes in what religious beliefs in our class, the class is mainly Christian so for you to feel the need to say that "God" doesn't mean "God" in their pledge, quite frankly, is offensive to me...but because I'm the majority, you somehow have the right to discriminate again me. "God" forbid I stand up for what I believe and say something against you and your beliefs, then I'm somehow the monster. Give me a break.

On a similar but seemingly opposite note, I feel the need to say something about the Marriage Amendment. I've refrained from mentioning anything until now because I'm not overly political, but I feel strongly that this needs to be said. Every single Minnesotan, regardless of religion or race or sex or anything, should vote NO on the Marriage Amendment. I don't think it has been clearly explained that a vote of NO does NOT make gay marriage legal, it simply leaves the door open for our children or our children's children to have the discussion later. I am Christian and I believe in what the Bible teaches and I will be voting NO on Tuesday. I want to live in a state where my children (or their children) may have the option to marry whomever makes them happy...regardless of their sex, color, religion, etc. Love is love.

No comments: