Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Monday, November 19

Stubborn and opinionated?

As always, we've had a busy week. My mom had surgery last Wednesday and is recovering nicely, from what she tells me (since she wouldn't let me come and help out!). I hope she doesn't over do it on Thanksgiving :)

On Thursday, Jim and I met with Korri's teacher and the manager of the daycare. We just don't know what to do with her, so we wanted some help and advice. They suggested a book, "Raising Your Spirited Child." Jim got the ebook and has started it, so hopefully it will help. We also ordered, upon their suggestion, "Hands Are Not For Hitting." It is a children's book that we can read with Korri and hopefully get the message through her thick head! Overall, I felt better when we left. I think the thing that made me feel better was when I asked if THEY consider her to be spirited. I was doubting myself and wondering if we just had too high of expetations or if we were just doing everything wrong with her...but no, they agree she is more toward "spirited" than "normal!" Ha! I think her teacher said, "Yes, Korri is stubborn and opinionated" or something like that. Yes, yes she is! Hey, she gets it from me and I get it from Grandpa Smith, so it REALLY isn't her fault, right?!?! The biting seems to have gotten better (we are also trying to set space limits with Finn to avoid biting opportunities) but hitting continues to be a constant struggle. I really think she will out grow it, as it almost always comes from her being frustrated and not being able to express herself (I HOPE!). They also suggested teaching her empathy by having her comfort Finn (or whoever she hurts) after. We haven't done that yet, but we'll see. We are trying to modify "timeout" to more of a "reset." We tell her, if she'll stay there to begin with, that she can get up when she is happy and ready to say sorry, etc. So many things to try, so little patience with which to implement them!

Friday, we met Angie, Darren, Erica and Gavin at New Hope Bowl and Italian Pie Shoppe. We had a yummy dinner of pizza, of course, and the kid were really good. Finn was SO excited to go bowling that I'm not sure how much he actually ate, though! After dinner we went bowling, a first for both Finn and Korri. I was not optimistic about their behavior, but low and behold, they were perfectly behaved!
They waited for their turn (once Finn figured out he couldn't go every time!) and stayed out of the way and didn't grab the balls, etc. Honestly, I NEVER would have attempted bowling with them, but my wise aunt said they would be fine. She was RIGHT! LOL. The most exciting thing is that now we have a fun family activity to do this winter! Thanks for the fun evening, Schultz family :)

No comments: