Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Monday, September 17

Balance bike?

Friday, we went over for a short visit at NeNe's house. Korri was SO cute when I told her where we were going. She ran over to the front door and repeated "NeNe, NeNe!" over and over. I think she thought NeNe was coming to OUR house. And I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised to see that DeAnn looked amazingly well for being one week post-knee replacement! She even got up and walked around. The kids loved the visit, but I could tell it tired DeAnn out a bit to have the chaos of two kids running around and climbing (yes CLIMBING) on her. Korri just wanted to be by her and I was freaking out, but she left the knee area alone, thank GOD! Now DeAnn just needs to remember to take her pain meds and NOT over do it :)

Saturday, Jim and Finn went to the Gopher football game again (win #3), while mommy and Korri went to swim class and hung out together. Jim said that Finn warmed up a lot more this week and was yelling and cheering. He totally conked out when they got home and we had to wake him up at 5pm from his nap! Korri loved swim class, as usual. I checked and there are spots open for the Waterbabies classes this fall, so now we need to decide if we are going to just have Korri go again or if we are going to try to find a class somewhere else for Finn. I feel like I've looked everywhere and either they don't have the kind of class we are looking for OR their schedule is too early or late in the fall! Argh.

On the way home from swim class, we stopped and picked up a balance bike from a friend for Finn to try! Rebecca warned me that it might take a while for him to warm up to it and he might just walk with it and not even sit on it. So, my expectations were low. I wish Finn had been with so he could have seen Jaleah riding it...she was zipping around. After Finn's monster nap, we went out to the van to show him. He LOVED it immediately and couldn't wait to get on it. He sat right down on the seat and off he went. Last night we went for a "bike" ride and when he got on his bike, he said to me, "Mommy, now I'm just like the other kids with their bikes." It almost made me cry!

So, what is a balance bike and why use it instead of a trike or regular bike? I've known what they are but I've thought the same thing for almost two years. A balance bike is a bike without pedals (or pedals removed from a regular bike). Weird, I know. The rider first walks the bicycle while sitting on the seat. Eventually, the rider feels comfortable enough to run and "scoot" while riding the bicycle, then to lift both feet off the ground and cruise while balancing on the two wheels (there are spots for his feet to rest when he gets to this stage). The purpose is to learn to balance and steer first and THEN learn to pedal, with the hope/thought that you will transition to a regular bike with NO training wheels!

We are also going to borrow Finn's friend, Bennie's, trike, so this way Finn will have options. I'm just so pleased that he loves it so much. We have set the rules very clearly and last night before our "bike" ride (Finn is the only one with a bike and goes slower than walking speed!), I told Finn that we get off our bike and walk it across the street. The first intersection we got to, he was off and walking it before I even turned around. And then he had to explain to daddy that we don't ride our bikes across the street because we do safety first! Man, I love that kid. He also LOVES wearing the helmet and calls it his racing helmet (I think because there are flames on it). We mentioned putting the seat all the way down and letting Korri try, but Finn did NOT think that was a good idea. Poor guy, he has to share everything. I think we'll wait until it isn't so "new" to have Korri try (however, she was VERY interested in it, so we'll see)!

No comments: