Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Wednesday, August 22

School ready?

I've always liked the idea of sending my offsrping to a Christian school AND I've had a very bad image/idea of what Minneapolis Public Schools are (I'm starting to come around, but Jim said I'm just getting brainwashed!). As Finn gets older and school looms on the horizon (yes, that is a tear in my eye!), I've started thinking more and more about school, what options are available to us and where we will send him/them. One good thing about MPS is that they have a strong Pre-K program, which not all school districts even offer. Basically, Pre-K seems like what kindergarten used to be! The kids who are 5 after the Sept 1 cutoff for kindergarten go every day for half a day and then in kindergarten, they go all day, every day! I think it is a great alternative to preschool and gets them ready for kindergarten.

Another good thing about public school (not sure how MPS compares) is that Emma and Austin are both gifted and have thrived in public school and gotten the attention they need to continue to excel beyond expectations and their peers. One major concern I've had about MPS is I don't want the classroom to go at the speed of the slowest student. Maybe that isn't the case (see, more research is needed on my part!).

It is also funny how your perspective changes! I used to think that private school was just too expensive and how could we justify sending our children to a private school when public school is "free." Well, now that we pay daycare, I've come to realize that private school isn't THAT expensive! Side note: I think daycare is ridiculously expensive!! The bottom line is that if I continue to work, we CAN afford private school.

So, now the search/research on schools expands from our three neighborhood public schools to private schools, too! Sheesh. Talk about being overwhelmed. Thankfully, there is a good Christian/Catholic school attached to our church, so I obviously am partial to looking into that one. Oh and to throw another wrench into the mix...we don't know how long we will stay living in Mpls, so all of this planning and research could be for naught!

I know kindergarten is two years away, and we've already decided to send Finn to our neighborhood public school for Pre-K next fall (just have to decide which one!), so it gives us a little time. But I know it will sneak up on us and I feel like so much is at stake. Our parents had it so easy...your child went to the closest school from K-12 with no other options! Okay, that isn't fair (Jim did transfer from Oville to KMS in 5th grade after all!), and there were private options in our area, but let's just say there were FEWER decisions that our parents had to make. One step at a time...figure out Pre-K and then figure out things after that!

FYI: Finn woke up this morning with a fever and very uncomfortable. It was super hard for me to leave for work, but I left my boys snuggling in daddy's bed with the promise that daddy was going to take Finn to Choo Choo Bob's today. I hope they have a good day!

No comments: