Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Monday, August 20

Home again, home again

Finn had surgery for tubes and adenoids today. We left home a little after 6pm in order to be at Children's Hospital by 6:45am. Thankfully, since daycare isn't open that early, Memere and Grandpa Ron stayed over last night and watched Korri all day for us. Neither Jim nor I slept at all last night. We both know it is as routine a procedure as you can get, but regardless, it is still your little baby going through it.

Once we got there, Finn was in a good mood and just wanted to play with toys. The little jammies were super cute.
Cuddling with mommy and daddy while waiting for them to be ready for Finn's surgery and watching some PBS Kids.

They were really good about showing, telling and explaining to him about what to expect and what was going to happen. I think that helped him a lot. I was doing okay until we were waiting in the room for them to be ready for Finn. And I pretty much lost it when we went to the OR with him and they put him under. No matter how many times you go through it (this is the fourth surgery for Finn), it never gets easy. And seeing him laying there so helpless just tears my heart apart. Later this afternoon, Finn told me his favorite part was his bed rolling down the hallway! So innocent and sweet.

Surgery was done very quickly (less than 45 minutes) and he had to go into recovery until he started waking up. Then they rolled him into his room, which is where we were waiting.
I have to say, things have changed since his last surgery (two years ago) and I really liked being able to wait in his room vs. having to wait in the waiting room. He was pretty groggy and uncomfortable right away. He eventually rolled over and said his back hurt. But I think he just wanted to sleep on his tummy! My little tummy-sleepers!
Once we un-kinked the IV, he was out for a super long nap. The nurse said she finds if they take a good nap, they recover much better. In the OR they told him if the pulse monitor was red (which it always is), it meant he was being a good boy, so he had to keep checking that after he got back to his room. I was told when I pre-registered we should be able to leave around 11:30, but since he took such a long nap, we didn't leave until almost 1pm. He was super excited to go home and thought it was hilarious when the nurse said, "now get out of here!" He really is a remarkable kid.

He was in a very fragile state of mind for the rest of the a great mood one minute and crying the next.  We kept him on the meds they gave him and that helped a lot. Memere got him some new Cars2 cars to play with, since he can't run, jump or exert himself for up to two weeks and auntie Becca, uncle Pete and Austin sent him a super cute lovable monkey called Junglie, which he just loved.

Thank you to everybody for thinking of us and saying some prayers. If we've learned nothing through Finn's journey, we've truly learned and understand the power of prayer. Also, thank you to Memere and Grandpa Ron for spending the day with Korri and thank you NeNe for coming over tomorrow. I, unfortunately, have to go back to work tomorrow, so it will be nice knowing NeNe is here for some extra cuddling, loving and spoiling. Here's to a quiet and uneventful evening!

1 comment:

meytal said...

So glad everything went well. You are right - he is, no doubt, a remarkable kids :) xoxo