Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Friday, February 4

Working on it

I brought Korri in for our lactation consultation today. It was not what I was expecting, but not necessarily bad. She weighed 6 lbs, 12 oz again today, so at least she didn't lose any more weight! The lactation consultant said that she was not worried about my supply (duh!) and that Korri is acting like a typical 37 weeker...tires easily, would rather just have the food put in her tummy that working for it. Okay, I know 3 weeks isn't that early, but I wish somebody had mentioned she might have a few characteristics (such as feeding!) that aren't that same as a full 40 weeker. I mean, when you go from having a 25 weeker, when you hear "full term" you make certain assumptions about what that means. Maybe I wouldn't have been so quick to blame myself. Oh, well. She showed me how to use a feeding tube (VERY similar to what they used for Finn when in the NICU!) to put in her mouth while she is latched on and sucking. We've done it three times today and seems to work. At least we know she is getting at least one ounce with each feeding. Because Korri has lost 10% her birth weight, she scheduled home care to do a weight check some time this weekend and we have a short appointment with her on Monday for follow up. She said she is very confident that things will turn around in one to two weeks (which consequently is when Korri would have been 40 weeks!). I'm hopeful and feeling better about the whole situation (I just want her to "get" it so we can move forward). Now if I could just figure out this whole "proper latch" thing.

Finn is still not feeling 100% and we are going past two weeks since getting sick. He now seems to have bloody snot in the mornings along with massive snot all day and today when Jim asked him where it hurt, he pointed to his head/sinus area. SO, Jim called the nurse's line and they said to use a warm wash cloth over his forehead and try to elevate his head while sleeping (easier said than done since he doesn't use a pillow yet!). But they said his symptoms aren't urgent and to talk to his primary care next week if things don't get better. I really just want him to feel better because I don't know if he is being super whiny because he is not feeling well or because Korri is here and I don't have as much attention for him as I used to. Hmmm...

I also wanted to thank everybody for their help/support this week. Kelsie brought Finn back home and hung out for a while and Becky cleaned (!) and hung out with us on Tuesday, Lorry brought me Chai Tea Wednesday morning (my fav!), NeNe brought us Panera for lunch on Wed (again, one of my favs!), Becky, Pete and Austin came to visit and brought dinner and dessert Wed evening. Laura and Matt were going to visit and bring dinner tonight, but we had to reschedule. It is nice to feel so loved and taken care of!

So weird to think we would have been 38 weeks today!

1 comment:

Lisa Q said...

stacy - as we have been thinking about our little one's coming birth, I also never really thought about how even being a few weeks early can affect things like feeding (even though I know that in the back of my mind), until my sister in law said something to me about it - I think when you have a history like we do, it's easy to not think of those things, just by way of comparison, you know? praying things continue to improve!