Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Wednesday, February 16

Two inches in one month?

So, apparently finding time to go on the computer takes a major hit when you have two kids! Ha. Things are going really well this week, even though we are super busy. Seems I schedule every appointment possible this week. Oops! Hey, I didn't know if/when baby would be born, so I think I was trying to be optimistic and schedule things before she arrived...so I was a little too optimistic! Oh, well.

Monday, we had lunch with aunties Becca and Kristine. It was a nice treat and Finn LOVED the attention. After lunch, Finn took a nap and then his friends the Arks came over for a play date. We usually go over there (they have a little more room to play!), but it was a nice change to have them over here. Finn loved showing off his new kitchen and work bench. Later in the evening, the four of us packed up and went to Jim's basketball game (yes, for those of you paying attention, his league scheduled games on Valentine's Day!). Auntie Becca and Austin were there, so again, Finn had a blast. He kept shouting, "Go, blue, go!" and pumping his arms. I guess cheering is an option for him!

After we got home and Finn went to bed, Jim made pan fried fish (yum!) and had gotten champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Super yum. My, how things change when you have two kids and a tight budget! But I loved it and wouldn't have changed anything. Also, thanks auntie Becca for the box of chocolates. For some reason, I've been craving chocolate (which, if you know me, NEVER happens!), so she got me a sampler box! I had to share with Finn and Austin, though ;)

We had Finn's NICU Follow Up clinic yesterday morning. While he couldn't join us, a big huge thank you to daddy for helping us get ready and out the door on time. They used the Bayley Scales of Development to measure Finn on Cognitive, Language and Motor skills. They assess him based on his adjusted age, which is 22 months. He scored at the 25 month level, 84th percentile, for cognitive (how you perceive, think, and gain an understanding of the world). As a comparison, last year he scored at the 50th percentile.

He scored at 26 months (84th percentile) for both receptive and expressive communication, same percentile as last year. Receptive communication refers to the way a listener receives & understands a message from a communication partner. Expressive communication refers to how one conveys a message to a communication partner by gesturing, speaking, writing, or signing.

He scored at 26 months and 14 months (27th percentile combined) for fine and gross motor skills, respectively. He scored at the 8th percentile last year and had the biggest category improvement with fine motor (I even made her recalculate his score because I didn't think he could really be that high!). Fine motor skills are small movements—such as grabbing something with your thumb and forefinger—that use the small muscles of the fingers, toes, wrists, lips, and tongue. Gross motor skills are the bigger movements—such as walking and climbing—that use the large muscles in the arms, legs, torso, and feet.

Overall, they were very pleased with his progress and said that other than gross motor, he scored at or above his chronological age. Everybody fell in love with him and the nurse even asked if she could take him home with her. In the OT's notes, she said, "Delightful little boy. Very smart and engaging." Hey, I'll take that! She also commented that because he is so smart, he is able to compensate for his physical delays, which makes progress even more difficult. She also recommended switching to Children's for continued PT, since I had expressed some concern about his care at Gillette. They have a waiting list, so she suggested calling now and planning on going in some time in April, after Finn has had the chance to "practice" walking a little more. They will see him again in a year (it is my understanding they only evaluate until 3 years, but I could be wrong).

I was a little frustrated with the testing (it is standard, I know, but still!), only because they started with things that were so ridiculously easy for Finn that by the time they got to the challenging things (they were testing him for almost TWO hours!), he was bored and simply refused to cooperate. One example, he wouldn't clap his hands, which he has obviously been able to do for a long time, so it gets marked as unable to complete. They also told me we need to work on his coloring since he didn't/couldn't draw a straight line. Oops...my bad on that one!!

They also took his stats. He weighs 27 lbs, which is the 50th percentile for his adjusted age. He was 31 3/4 inches tall, which is the 5th percentile for his adjusted age. His head was 49 cm which is the 65th percentile for his adjusted age. I was surprised by his height because that means he has grown almost two inches in a month since his well-child appt. No wonder he has been waking up crying...growing pains, hello?!?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was a posting worth waiting for! You sound like things are so much better and I am thrilled. I agree Finn is a delightful little boy and such a blessing. Both you and Jimmy should be so very proud of all you have accomplished together and for your children. I marvel at it and am so proud of you. As Valentines Day came and went I was taken back to the Valentines Day a few short years ago when I was at work and Jimmy called me from his car. He had just picked up your engagement ring and was SOOOO excited. He said, "this is so beautiful I might keep it for myself" (in very classic Jimmy humor). I know he wanted to wait for a day other than Valentines Day to give you that ring, but I am so very glad he couldn't wait. That was the start of something quite wonderful. Look at all you have accomplished in such a short period of time. Be proud, enjoy each other, and know how very much I love all four of you. I hope to see you very soon.
DeAnn (NeNe)