Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Wednesday, February 2

Peek-a-boo, I see you

After going back and forth (and back and forth again) after Finn was born, we decided we didn't NEED to get a video monitor for him. Well, several times over the last year and a half, we've wished we had one. SO, when I found the deal of the century on a really good video monitor, we got one for each child! Jim set them up last night and instantly said, "Man, we should have gotten these a long time ago!" I have to admit, it was very convenient to just take a peek at either of them before getting up to check on them. It is a little creepy, though, like on a horror movie when somebody goes into a room and you can't do anything about it. Hopefully we don't have to worry about that, though ;) Now I just need to figure out how to adjust the volume, so when Finn wakes up too early, I can mute him!!

Here is wide awake Korri yesterday before we left the hospital to go home:

This is Finn welcoming his baby sister home with a smoochy. So precious.

We survived our first night home. Jim is sick as a dog, so after being in bed for an hour, I asked him to sleep downstairs, for both of our sakes. #1. Baby would have kept waking him up all night and I figure he needs good sleep to get better AND #2. once I'm done feeding her, I need to be able to fall asleep right away, and Jim's snoring and sweaty body weren't conducive to that. I'm very proud of myself because after several initial crying bouts, I waited in my room and baby calmed herself within 2 minutes almost every time (unless her arms had come out of her swaddle)! I hope that continues for sure. I set my alarm for every 4 hours and she always woke up ready to eat before the alarm went off, which is good. We had two really good feeding sessions and a couple others that were okay. Now that it is day time, she thinks she needs to sleep, but I'm hoping to keep her awake a little more today.

Finn still isn't feeling well, but a dose of ibuprofen did wonders when he woke up. Lots of snot but less coughing. Hopefully he is on the mend. If baby doesn't get sick with all the germs in our house right now, it will be a miracle.

My milk came in early last night. By bedtime I was full and in a little pain. After baby's last bedtime feeding, I decided to pump to get a little relief. Now I'm struggling with if I should keep pumping to get some relief or to just try to feed her often to balance out supply and demand. It would be kind of nice to have a bottle or two in the freezer for future needs, though. Argh! I want to be done making decisions. It's somebody else's turn.

1 comment:

Meytal said...

I completely identify with you regarding the decision making...haha
When my breasts were painful in the first week or so, I expressed some milk by hand. It really helps to take a warm shower...You can also pump, but make sure you don't empty your breasts so your boody won't think that the baby actually needs all that milk. I was too lazy to mess with the pump just for a relief, that is why I used the shower :) Also, if you are in pain, ice packs on the breast will help. You have a lot of blood flowing to that area, so some cold packs will ease the pain. It took me about a week to get my breasts back to (somewhat) normal...It should get better soon!