Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Sunday, February 6

One week and four ounces!

Korrigan is one week old today. My, what a crazy week it has been. We are so truly blessed and happy.

Two firsts: last night Korrigan had her first bottle!
Daddy gave her a bottle while I pumped. She did okay after a little bit of coaxing and took just over an ounce. I figured I don't want to end up with a baby who will only eat from me. I need a little freedom eventually, too!

And her second first was that this morning, she got to go to her first church service! This is Korri ready to head out to church.
I think Finn's first trip to church was at his baptism when he was nearly 6 months old. Another example of how different this time around is! My mom, Jim, Korrigan and I all went to church together. The weird part, I delivered her during what would have been church service last week, so she actually "turned" one week old while we were at church! Big brother, Finn, wasn't there because he got to have an over night at auntie Kristine's last night.

The home health service nurse stopped by this afternoon to take Korrigan's weight. I was nervous for this because I had a lot of emotions bottled up in what the results revealed. I was hoping for 6 lbs 14 ounces, knowing that between 1/2 and 1 ounce a day of weight gain is what they want to see. Well...she was just over SEVEN POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!! She gained an average of just over 2 ounces per day since we started working on this problem. I am so happy. The lactation consultant said that stopping the downward spiral would be the hard part and once we could get on the up swing, things would be easier. Hallelujah! We have a lactation consult/weight check tomorrow and her 2 week well child appt on Wed, so we will be watching it closely, but I'm very hopeful at this point. Oh, and while the nurse was here, her belly button cord fell off! It has been loose for a day or so and it just fell off. What remains looks a little tender still, but that is to be expected.

A HUGE thank you to my mom for coming yesterday morning. It helped to have her here in so many ways, even if it was just to have somebody supportive to cry to and express my crazy emotions to. Not to mention all the million other things she did that were a huge help. Gotta love mom!!

No comments: