Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Tuesday, January 11

You're gonna miss this

A week or so ago (seems like a lifetime!), I posted how one of Darius Rucker's songs was so powerful and put things in perspective for me when I'd been having a rough patch. While Jim and I were listening to music a few nights later, I remembered another one with a slightly different spin on the same message. It is a song by Trace Adkins called "You're gonna miss this" and here is the chorus:

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days
Hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

It got us talking about how things change and how we don't want to forget how things are now (even on the bad days!). Like the million and one ways Finn is silly and goofy every day and brings so much joy to our lives. And the mannerisms that accompany this age, but will soon disappear simply because he is learning and growing. I'm not good at remembering to take video, especially of "just" the little things, so I hope I post enough of those things here so we will be able to look back and remember them (well, and so you can enjoy them, too).

Then Jim does or says things that surprise me. He isn't a very self-reflective person nor do I consider him to be much of a sentimental person, although that isn't necessarily fair, because he values traditions even more than I do. Anyway, last night, I was looking at one of my online bargain website and found a very sturdy wooden dollhouse for over 50% off. Now, I know it is a little early to get something like that for our daughter, but I showed it to him. He said, "No, I want to get her a huge one that is bigger than she is. Oh, and a pink Barbie car that she can ride around in." As though he had been thinking about this and already had a plan! It caught me off guard, but now in hind sight, I'm realizing she already has him wrapped around her finger and she isn't even here yet...which is 100% okay with me, given the lack of relationship I had/have with my dad. I hope she calls him daddy until the day she gets married or has kids of her own.

4 comments:

Kelsie said...

This gave me the goosebumps! You both are such wonderful parents! :)

Meytal said...

ok. you got me in tears now. It kind of reminded me the last weeks before I had Ori. I was sad that life as we knew it was going to change...I was scared for my relationship with Lyla. I am still adjusting to the change, and believe it or not, I feel like I love L even more now!

kborn said...

:-) Girls have a way of doing that!
And I saw the name of your post and I IMMEDIATELY thought back to a very similar post that I had about 2 1/2 years ago.
Crazy to think I'm going to miss the car rides with 2 kids under 4 for an hour each way and hearing them yell and scream and cry and all sorts of crazy things like that.

Rebecca said...

Goosebumps is right! Thank you for posting this - I needed to read those lyrics today.

Thinking of you every day!