Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Tuesday, January 4


I'll preface this with the following statement: everything is currently fine and so as not to cause a panic we didn't call a lot of people so don't be offended if you weren't informed until now. That being said Stacy and I just got back from Abbott Northwestern Hospital.

This morning Stacy saw her home health nurse, Jen, who gives her the progesterone shots and upon evaluation she insisted that Stacy call her nurse's line. Based on symptoms both nurses insisted she go in and be evaluated further in labor and delivery to be on the safe side. Jen was kind enough to stay until Becky got here to watch Finn and was only just leaving right as I got home from the dentist. She also coordinated things so they were expecting our arrival at Abbott. She is a great nurse.

When I got home, we headed to Abbott and went to their Maternal Assesment Center (MAC) so Stacy could be evaluated. They hooked her up to my least favorite machine in the world the Maternal/Fetal Monitor and that proved that she indeed was having contractions about four minutes apart which of course I read before the nurse came and told us. The exam also yielded the fact that she was dilated to about a centimeter. On the plus side, her water has not broke which is what initiated the labor with Finn's situation.

Upon confiring with Stacy's on-call physician, they proceeded to give her terbutaline medicine to stop the contractions (it was one step down from the level of medicine she received when she was in labor with Finn) and also gave an injection of steroids (betamethasone) for the baby's lungs and development which is the same medicine Finn received.

About an hour later, the contractions slowed enough for them to determined it was fine for us to go home which is where we are now. The nurse also noted that most babies born at this point (33 weeks and four days) go to the special care nursery at Abbott and aren't even transferred over to Childrens Hospital.

All in all, this certainly isn't what we were hoping for but much better than what we've dealt with before. We're 9 weeks past when she ruptured with Finn and just shy of seven weeks beyond when Finn was delivered. While every additional day until the baby comes will continue to be a blessing the biggest blessing is that we've made it this far. Stacy will have to go back in to Abbott tomorrow afternoon to get the second steroid shot and to be further monitored.

Stacy is of course to take it easy and rest as much as possible (i.e. no lifting or running after Finn!), drink a lot of water and stay vigilent with the symptoms and go in if the contractions progress. Hopefully it will be a few more weeks but we'll see.

If anyone has any questions please call me at 612-227-8057 as opposed to calling or emailing Stacy which will make her busier right now than what we need. Becky, thanks for getting over here so quickly to watch Finn and help Stacy and for watching Finn tonight in case anymore calamity were to ensue.

Here's to six and a half more weeks before meeting baby!


Nikki said...

Praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

oh wow, my heart is pounding right now. will definitely pray for this labor stuff to stop and for baby to stay put. Take care,

Anonymous said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers. If you need any help, let me know.

Grandpa Ron