Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Wednesday, January 19

Busy bees

Finn and I each had an appointment today. Finn had his 2 year well child appointment at Children's. He weighs 28 lbs and is 31.2" tall. This was the first time they weighed him and took his height on the "big boy" scales. He wasn't too sure about it, but wasn't too worried, either. For his actual age, he is at the 50th percentile for weight and head circumference but <1% for height. They start looking at BMI at 2 years and, obviously, Finn's is a little higher than they like to see because of him being so short, but are not concerned at this point. Just something they want to monitor, since they are hoping his height eventually catches up like the rest of him did. We also talked about the possibility for growth hormones and she is very open to that, but the restrictions on who gets them is very stringent because they are very expensive, I guess. So, she is keeping any eye on it, so I don't have to worry...yeah right!

She is also concerned about Finn's teeth, which this was the first she mentioned it to us. She said he needs to be seen by a pediatrician dentist "sooner rather than later." She thinks there may be structural issues, potentially due to his torticollis and plagiocephaly (misshapen head). She also wants Finn to be seen by the carniofacial team that worked with him on his cranial cap. It has been a year and she said she would feel better if he was seen by them. AND he still needs to be tested every 6 months for hearing and eyes. Yikes...was kind of hoping his appointments were tapering off. But, I'd rather do them and make sure all is well, than be lazy and not do them because it is inconvenient. She also agree that it is good he is being seen for his feet. AND she gave me the number to the NICU Follow-Up clinic since they have not contacted us yet and Finn is obviously passed his 2 year birthday. AND he had blood drawn for lead and hemoglobin, I think. Of course, I would be remiss to not mention that she was overly surprised and pleased with his comprehension, language skills and cognition! I think that is it. No wonder our appointment lasted an hour!

Then we went across the street for my OB appointment (I was one minute late!). I explained the symptoms I've been having over the last few days. She was concerned that my water had broke and tested for it, but nope. She said the pain I was experiencing Monday night and yesterday was most likely contractions and not constipation pain. Darn it...I was sure it wasn't contractions. I'm so bad at figuring this stuff out! Why isn't it like in the movies when they just know it is labor and go into the hospital to have a baby?!?! My cervix has not changed since Saturday, which was a little disappointing to hear, considering how uncomfortable I have been. She lifted my bed rest restrictions, but also said to listen to my body and not over do it. There are just some things that I can't do and things I can do, but they take a lot out of me (like going up and down the stairs or carrying Finn). I'm done with my hormone shots! Yay! I will miss my weekly check-in/chat with my wonderful home nurse, but so happy to be done with the shots. The baby is most definitely head down, and has been for a while. So, whenever she decides to join us, I guess we'll be ready.

No comments: