Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Monday, January 31

Birth story

For those of you who want to know more details (and for posterity's sake), I thought I'd let you know how our last day and a half went.

On Sunday morning, my water broke at 6am, well at least I thought it had. And I started having somewhat painful contractions. Me being me, I didn't wake Jim, but DID call my doctor on call to see if she thought it had broke as well. I talked to her at 6:30 and she said to lay down for 15 minutes and drink some water to see what happens. Then I told her that I'd had at least three intense contractions in the last half hour...she quickly changed her mind and said I had to go in to get checked. I then woke Jim up and we were trying to decide if we should wait for somebody to come stay with Finn or to take him along.

As it turned out, I'm so glad we didn't wait because my contractions were so painful by the time we left the house that I was throwing up. Yuck! Poor Finn just didn't know what to do with Mommy in so much pain. Both Jim and I thought he was going to start crying, but he never did. We got to the hospital a little after 7am, at which time I was dilated to a 5 and 100% effaced. I was in so much pain by this point, I couldn't move. They quickly moved me over to labor and delivery because, duh, my water had in fact broken. At that point, my wonderful friend, Stacey, and her son Dillon came to the hospital to pick up Finn and have a fun day with him. Within 45 minutes after the first assessment, I was dilated to a 9! They knew I wanted an epidural (and at that point, I NEEDED one!). The anesthesiologist was going as quickly as he could to get the epidural in place because of how quickly I was progressing (there is a window that if you miss, you can't get one). He kept saying, "Oops, that is bone" when he was poking the needle into my spine! Owww.

I got the epidural and was relatively comfortable for about an hour. He gave me a button to add more medicine if I needed it, but I didn't want to be completely numb for pushing. The nurse casually came in and said she was going to check me. Prior to this, I was a 9, but baby's head hadn't come down into the birth canal yet and was facing the wrong way (one of the reasons my contractions were so painful). She reached in to check me and only got in about an inch because she quickly said she was going to get the doctor! She'd found the head! I pushed for about 45 minutes and when baby was ready, she just spurted right out and was crying before they even got her on my chest. What a novel experience...to have your newborn baby put on your chest and kept in  your room the whole time after birth!

The nurse said that if I hadn't gotten the epidural, I probably would have delivered about an hour earlier, but I honestly don't know how I could have pushed with the level of pain I was in. Unfortunately for me, for many reasons but probably because she never turned all the way around and because she came so quickly, I ended up with a third degree tear, on a scale from 1 being smallest and a 4 tearing all the way through. It took a while for Dr. Harris (the doctor on call from my clinic...who I'd actually seen a few times before!) to get me stitched up and after getting her stats, Jim and Korrigan were busy bonding in the rocker in our room. Again, what a great sight to see. She scored a 9 out of 10 on her Apgar score at 1 and 5 minutes...better than Finn's 4, if I recall correctly.

So far, she is having a little bit of a problem latching on and staying latched on. Our pediatrician happened to be the one on call and rounding this week, which was fabulous. She said that baby isn't opening her mouth very far, which is making it hard to get enough of the nipple in for her to suck...but the good thing is that she has a strong suck. Korrigan doesn't like to think she is alone. She doesn't have to be held, but she has to hear you to know you are there...oh, and she does prefer to just be held. Maybe she will be more of a cuddler than her big brother.

After meeting his baby sister, Finn went home with and had a sleep over with aunt Kelsie last night and Stacey is watching him again today. We are so lucky to have family and friends that are so willing to step in at a moment's notice to help us out. Thank you very much!! Jim isn't feeling well today and had to go to work for a few hours today since the entire management committee flew into town for meetings since Jim couldn't travel. Not exactly sure what tonight and tomorrow will bring, but hopefully we will figure something out. Time to feed the baby!

I'm sure there are a ton of details that I'm currently forgetting, but that gives you a snapshot as to the events that lead up to and after Korrigan's birth. And just to appease the masses, here is a picture from today:

1 comment:

Meytal said...

Aw...I am in tears! How exciting. Thanks for sharing.