Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, December 2

I eat what I want

We talked to Finn's EI teacher, Deb, about a couple different topics on Tuesday, but one that we talk about often is Finn's eating habits. He has started to be a picky eater and throwing his food and not eating what we give him. Prior to talking to Deb, I would give Finn each "course" separately. Like, here is your yogurt. That is gone, so now here is your fruit. That is finished, so here are your veggies. Or whatever he would be eating at a certain meal. Deb suggested giving it to him all at once and letting him CHOSE what he wants to eat from what I give him. Two year olds like to feel like they can control things in their environment. I didn't have high hopes, but we've been doing it since Tuesday and it is amazing the difference. So now, I put appropriate serving sizes on a plate of whatever I would have normally given him and he can chose what and how much he wants to eat. If he wants more of something, he has to finish the other stuff, but if he doesn't want to finish, he is done...and I don't stress about how much he is eating! If he is hungry, he will eat. It seems to be going so much better. Honestly, what would I do without Deb!?! Simple yet effective suggestions. Why can't we just figure all this out on our own?!?! I'm just glad I don't have to!

Finn and I went to our first winter ECFE class today. It went better than I was expecting. There are two kids that are older than the rest, but otherwise for the most part, the kids are two, give or take a few months. There is one other little boy who has special needs and isn't walking yet, either, so at least Finn isn't the only one (I don't even know if Finn would notice anyway...more my hang up than his!). This is the first class session we will be separating (meaning the kids stay and play for part of the class and the parents go to a different room). They said that Finn cried a little bit when I first left, but then was quickly distracted by snack time (and had THREE helpings...of course!). I loved the parent time without the kids around. You get so much more out of what others are saying when you aren't keeping a watch on your child and only paying half attention. Plus, it turned out that I knew two other parents and had met another one once...I must get around the ECFE circuit! Ha, ha. I liked the teachers, which was a struggle with one teacher in our fall class, so I think we will stick it out, at least for now.

No comments: