Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, November 25

Giving thanks

While I try to be thankful all year round, today is a great opportunity to stop, reflect and share the 10 things I am most thankful for.

1. My wonder, loving and supportive husband. Yes, we argue and disagree, but at the end of the day, there is nobody on this earth with whom I would rather argue, cry, laugh or spend my life. You are an amazing husband and father, Jim.

2. My amazing, stubborn, funny and smart son, Finnegan, who brings so much life and laughter into my life. I don't even remember what life was like before you came or the things that seemed important. I stop and just take you in some days and am overwhelmed with my love for you. Thank you for teaching me how to be the best mom I can be.

3. For my wonderful, active and growing daughter-to-be. I can't wait to meet you and find out all the fantastic things you have to teach and show me. You may not be coming exactly when I planned, but you help me to remember that sometimes God's plan is different than mine, and that is okay. Even though I haven't seen you yet, my heart swells with love for you.

4. For my swollen feet and making it to 27 weeks and 6 days with this pregnancy. My swollen feet help to remind me that this is a pregnancy symptom I haven't experienced before and that I didn't make it this long with Finn. It has been a roller coaster ride so far, but I know everything is worth it. Here's to many (MANY) more days before this pregnancy comes to a joyous end.

5. My family (both biological and through marriage) who support me and keep me grounded and helped me to become the person I am today. We have weathered much together and having you in my life gives me comfort and stability knowing you are there for me no matter what. Whether it be a late night phone call venting about the latest thing to upset me or sitting by my side in the hospital for 10+ days while I was going through the most difficult time in my life. I am lucky to have family like you by my side.

6. My friends (you know who you are!), because you are in my life because you choose to be, not because you have to be. Your encouragement and companionship make me feel loved and accepted and help me feel like it is okay to "just be me."

7. For my ability to be a stay-at-home mom. I loved my job and working, but it is nothing compared to being able to spend every day with my son, watch him grow before my very eyes and be the one to raise him and teach him life's important lessons. I don't know how long I will be able to stay home, so I am thankful for each day I'm given.

8. My health. This might seem like a small yet obvious thing to be thankful for, but I am a healthy person, which allows me to take care of my son and husband when needed and not have the need to take "sick days" which my job doesn't allow. But also, because of my overall health and strength, this pregnancy is going smoothly and I feel amazing (most of the time!).

9. Surfactant, a protein that makes lung tissue elastic. This might seem like a very specific thing to include on a list like this, but without it, Finn's chances of survival, after being born at 25 weeks, would have almost been zero. Because this medicine (and several others) was invented and given to my son, it allowed his lungs to expand and collapse and ultimately only be vented for one day. I owe my son's life to this life-saving medicine (and the wonderful care given to him by the amazing staff at Children's NICU/ICC).

10. Toothbrush and hot running water. Let's face it; because nobody wants to have stinky breath or a dirty body! Enough said :)

Wishing you a very happy and grateful Thanksgiving. May you be able to celebrate your many blessings in the company of those you love. Travel safely! Stop today and think about the 10 things YOU are most thankful for. It is very therapeutic.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Wonderful list! Happy Thanksgiving Stacy!