Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, November 4

Ace of Cakes?

The adults at ECFE yesterday were playing "let's see if Finn can say this" game. It was actually kind of funny and they LOVED it when he did repeat what they said. Too bad I can't make money with that trick! We talked about gender roles, especially with boys, during parent time and it was right up my psychology alley. I find it fascinating and wonder how you can raise a boy/man who is both empathic/kind and yet assertive/tough (especially for things like sports, leadership and whatnot). Hmmm...

I had my first cake decorating class last night and LOVED it! Kristine and Becky (Ark...the twins' mom) also signed up and went to the same class. It was at JoAnn Fabric in Maple Grove (and I even got to eat at Noodles and Company with Kristine beforehand...bonus!). I don't have the lesson book with me, but last night we learned how to frost a cake without getting crumbs in the frosting and finishing with an extra smooth finish (but we just watched...next week we practice) and we learned how to decorate using a star tip. We even practiced the technique on cookies.
These were my finished products (after getting a little smooshed on the way home); from left to right, top to bottom: snowflake, "F" for Finn, concentric circles, Christmas tree (the lamest one!), heart and "2" because my baby is turning 2 pretty soon! Of course, sitting between the two cake professionals (Kristine and Becky who have both made several fancy cakes) was a bit intimidating, but I honestly don't need to learn all the fancy stuff (that's what I have Kristine for!)...just how to make my cakes look as good as they taste (if I do say so myself!). Also, thanks to my lovely husband for letting me get out of the house for a few nights. It was nice not thinking about anybody but myself for a couple hours.

3 comments:

Meytal said...

This class sounds like a lot of fun. I will have to check if they offer it here.

Becky A said...

Professional - ha. :) I've done one Elmo cake and one doll cake and that's the extent of my cake decorating mastery. There's a reason I'm in the BEGINNER class!! But it is fun and I'm excited for next week. Bring it on!

Stacy Thomas said...

Hmmm, novice professional? Advanced intermediate? I don't know, that doll cake definitely put you above "beginner" level for sure. Sorry :) But the class is a lot of fun and I'm surprised at how quickly we learn the techniques and practice them.