Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Sunday, July 25

Pineapple bad?

I read in my Pregnancy Journal the other night that papaya, pineapple and bitter melon are not recommended during pregnancy because they can being on complications but it didn't say why or what complications (don't you just love partial information?!?!). Well, I don't eat papaya and don't know what bitter melon is but I do love pineapple so I thought I should look into it a little more. As it turns out, there is a little truth to it.

"Is pineapple safe during pregnancy? Maybe.

"Eating pineapple or drinking pineapple juice is said to be an old wive’s tale to bring on labor for woman past their due date. Large amounts of pineapple juice can in fact cause uterine contractions. It’s for this reason that in early pregnancy, it’s often suggested that you don’t drink pineapple juice in excess amounts.

"Why pineapple can cause contractions: Fresh pineapple contains Bromelain which can also soften the cervix but it is said that it takes large quantities to have any effect which can also result in diarrhea. Every pineapple has minute quantities of Bromelain therefore you would have to consume up to seven pineapples for a significant effect to be felt. Some women say that they’ve had zero problems having plenty of pineapple and pineapple juice during pregnancy and others claim it brought on labour. The verdict on pineapple during pregnancy? Some would say that you can eat it in moderation and watch for any signs of problems before your due date. If you’re at or past your due date, it might help you."

There you go. At least now I don't have to be terrified of eating SOME pineapple, but I also know not to over indulge (if for no other reason than to not get the runs!).

We had nothing to eat in our house yesterday, so when Finn got up, we decided to go out to breakfast...something we never do! I love going out for breakfast, but Jim likes staying in and making breakfast (cheaper and usually better!). Well, I got him to agree to go to Key's Cafe. It was super yummy and our waitress fell in love with Finn. It was really loud in there, so it didn't even matter than Finn was trying to out shout everybody else. We ordered him his own food, but he only wanted to eat what mom and dad were eating! Little stinker!

When we were done, we headed up to United Hospital in downtown St. Paul to visit NeNe. She had knee surgery on Friday, so we wanted to make sure she was still alive and doing well (which she was). Finn had fun figuring all the new things out in her room. Then we had to get home so Finn could nap. After his nap, we headed over to the Splash Pad (yup, the same place we were on Friday!) for Teddy's 2nd birthday party (Teddy is the son of college friends of Jim's). I know everybody is supposed to say their kid is the cutest ever, but I'd have a hard time saying Finn is cuter than Teddy (I could just put him in my pocket and take him home...but I won't!). Everybody had a blast and they served pie instead of cake and it was the best idea ever! So yummy. I wanted a second piece, but I'm glad I refrained (I might have exploded).

No comments: