Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Monday, July 5

Ideals

You know how when you are pregnant with your first child, you dream about what kind of parent you are going to be, how you will do things differently (or the same!) as your parents and how you aren't going to do things just because it is the easy way, but you'll do it the RIGHT way?!?! No, just me? Well, I did. I like to consider myself a well-adjusted and educated woman and I was going to do things "by the book." I made my own baby food (except when we traveled), I read books to Finn every day (or as often as I remembered or he reminded me!) and I said, "No french fries for my kid!" I had read some where that for American children, french fries were their favorite "vegetable" and that disgusted me (and still does!). And I held out for a long time (mainly because he wouldn't self feed, probably!).

Well, on the way home today from dropping daddy off at the airport, I had to stop and get gas and an Arby's hot ham and cheese sandwich was calling my name. The kind of calling my name where the car had a mind of its own...it just drove itself into the drive through lane! So I obliged. I got it with curly fries (duh, who wouldn't?!?!) and while it wasn't the first time he'd had fries, Finn ate at least half of them on the way home. He would just stick his chubby arm out the side of his car seat and grunt to let me know he was ready for another one. So much for my ideals! I'm still set on not ORDERING him his own fries, like in a happy meal (now they have healthy alternatives), but we'll see how long that lasts! I guess I'm no longer a card carrying member of the Perfect Mom's Club (and Finn will probably thank me for it later!).

Saturday I made a red velvet cake (my specialty!) for Jim's friend, Mike's non-birthday, birthday party. However, this was my first time adding pecans...which was an interesting endeavor.And I got to use my new Tupperware cake taker (LOVED it by the way!). I also made "velvet" cupcakes for the kids (sans red food coloring!). The party was great, even if it was a touch warm. All the kids had a blast and Finn held out with only a nap until 9pm! And the little bugger didn't fall asleep the WHOLE way home! Hello...they live like 40 minutes from us! Sunday (Happy Fourth of July everyone!) was a quiet family day, which we needed. We got Finn's pool out and he got to swim and play with his water toys. At the end, I brought out the soap and he got his first outdoor bath (easier than bringing him in and filling another tub, right?). Like I said previously, now daddy is on his way back to Michigan for another week. One week down, three (or more) to go.

1 comment:

kborn said...

it was sooo yummy. :)