Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Tuesday, May 25

Give me a drink

Sippy cup update...Finn is doing great with the sippy cups. He gets how to tip it up now, so he drinks a whole cup at a time, instead of just chewing on the spout and getting a little bit. Does that mean the bottles are almost history? Probably. I also got him a straw one so he wouldn't have to tip it up, but he doesn't really get it. And Jim took it apart to put in the dishwasher and now I don't know how to put it back together! I'll keep trying both cups to see what he prefers once he figures out the straw.

Finn's ECFE teacher also said that babies at Finn's age should be offered a regular glass with water in it to start figuring out how to drink from them (with the obvious understand that 90% of it will end up on them and the floor!). Finn doesn't like the real cup; it seems almost like he is afraid of it...but maybe he just doesn't like getting wet from it! Although, I did give it to him yesterday and he tipped it up and sipped it by himself and kept asking for more water...maybe 4 times?!?! I think that is progress. I'll just keep offering it on and off. He will get it eventually.

Yesterday Finn was a rockstar when EI came for their visit. He crawled with limited assistance, which is huge. He had his leg bands on and completely coordinated his arms by himself. He just got help with his legs, but only a little bit and usually only with his right leg. And he started crusing around the couch. Now when I say that, I mean he took a few steps sideways, but they were unassisted steps (holding onto the couch), which it is a big deal. His PT predicts that he will be crawling by their next appoinment in two weeks. I sure hope so (but I'm not holding my breath)!

They also said to hold off on buying a gate for the stairs going upstairs. With Finn's getting around more (and if he is close to actually crawling) I mentioned we needed a gate. But they said that because Finn is so cautious, we may not need one! The recommendation surprised me, but makes sense. Plus, our stairs going downstairs (which would obviously be more dangerous) has a door at the top, so we are "safe" there. I guess we'll wait and see (I hate baby gates, so if we don't need one, I'm happy with that).

1 comment:

Nicki said...

i hate the gates too, but one day he could just decide to climb them (the stairs)! That's what happened with dane, i didnt know he was capable of climbing the steps until one day he just did it!