Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, April 8

15 month well(?) child

Finn and I went to his 15 month well child appointment yesterday. I know all parents say this, but how can he possibly be 15 months old already?!?! His doctor and I really treated it like a 12 month well child appointment, so we talked a lot about food, milk, development, vocabulary, etc. She was astounded at the number of words Finn was saying, which made a momma proud! He may not be crawling, but he is talking ;) I can now introduce whole milk, but keep using formula for a while, too, just to make sure he is getting enough calories and nutrients. Yay, some day in the near future...no more formula!!

We also talked about Finn's problems with textures, both touching and in his mouth, and his inability to self feed. She was fairly concerned, but not concerned like there is a huge problem, more concerned like, let's get this figured out. So she highly recommended Finn go to a feeding clinic. They have one at Children's, but it has a long wait to get in. I told her I'd mentioned it to his PT at Gillette, so I'm going to see what they have to say next week at PT. He is making small improvements in that area, so I don't know if it is completely necessary, but I'm not an expert by any means. In all honesty, we probably should have done this months ago, but I kept hoping he would "just get it" on his own. Oh, the powers of self doubt as a parent.

I mentioned that he is still hacking and a little snotty from his respiratory problems three and a half weeks ago. So she looked back in his chart and said that his croup test came back positive! I have to admit, I was angry. Why didn't they call to tell me? Babies, especially preemies, often can end up in the hospital from croup. Argh. Thankfully that didn't happen, but I still would like to know so we know what we are dealing with. Anyway, she said that if he isn't better in a week, to bring him back in. I feel like he is slowly getting better and coughing less and less each day, so hopefully that won't be necessary.

Finn had been pulling on his ears for a little over a week but I didn't bring him in because I thought it was still just the fluid in them. WELL...nope, he has an infection in both ears! Again, I wish he showed more signs of discomfort so I would know when I should bring him in. So he is back on antibiotics and she said it is time to see the ENT. Finn has had four ear infections since November, which is a lot. Plus, it seems like the fluid just isn't clearing up, so the infections will just continue. I just want to fix it sooner rather than later.

She also suggested going back to PT every week just so Finn "gets" the gross motor stuff quicker. I explained that on top of Gillette PT, EI PT comes every two weeks, too. She said that was probably fine, but again, I'll discuss with PT next week. Oh, so much to remember! I really like it when Jim is able to go along to these appointments because there is so much information to remember.

The important thing to remember is that Finn is healthy. His height and weight curves remain steady, which is what we are looking for. Okay, I'd like his height curve to jump up a bit, but you can't have every thing :) His head was 18.11 which was around the 20% percentile for his ACTUAL age! Poor guy has a large noggin. He was 27.2" long, which was between and 1st and 3rd percentile for adjusted age. He weighted 20 pounds 1 ounce which puts him in the 10th percentile for adjusted age. He also got three shots, which he made very clear that he didn't appreciate. He's just truckin' along.

No comments: