Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Wednesday, March 3

Who needs a wallet?

Finn's doctor appointment went well. She said his ears looked good, or as good as she could tell. He started crying as soon as she put the instrument in his ear. I don't know what that was about. And once you are crying, your ear drum turns red. Did you know that? I didn't. You learn something new every day. She wants to keep an eye on his ears, so he needs to be seen every 4 to 6 weeks to make sure all is well. Finn's 15-month well child check is in 5 weeks, so that works perfectly (how can we already be near 15 months?!?!). She said the ENT was a bit premature at this point (which is why I hadn't made an appointment yet) and she would recommend that after 5 ear infections.

I also took the opportunity to discuss Finn's weight and feeding schedule with her. I've been receiving feedback that he is too heavy and that he eats too much. I honestly don't think he is TOO heavy, just chunky, which is normal for pre-crawling/walking babies. And I feed him healthy things and I feel like if I fed him less, he would be starving all the time, which I'm not willing to do. She sat down and we went through everything, what he eats, his hungry/full cues, how often he eats, his weight/heigh ratio, etc. She said she is honestly not concerned AT ALL about his weight or what he is eating and that I shouldn't change a thing. I needed to hear that. I'm glad I asked. She said that we do need to keep an eye on his height because he is so short, but that would start being a concern closer to two than right now. He has stayed on the same height curve, but it is still around the 3rd percentile, I think.

And I decided it was such a nice day when we left for the appointment that I didn't grab my coat. Um, well, I keep my wallet in my coat! I realized it as I was waiting to check him in for his appointment. You have to have ID and your insurance cards every time. I explained what happened and she thankfully said that was fine (and asked me other questions to make sure I was me). Well, I didn't think about it again...until we got in the car to leave the parking ramp. Yes, parking ramp...that costs MONEY, that I didn't have! I was freaking out because I had NOTHING. I found some change in Finn's diaper bag and then decided to go back to the welcome desk to ask what I was supposed to do (Jim is out of town so it wasn't like he could just drop some money off for me). As we were walking back in, a doctor walked in behind us and I asked her if she had $2. She THANKFULLY did and we had just enough to pay to get out. I hope that never happens again. One of the worse feelings in the world. I think I will put $10 into Finn's diaper bag so I always have something for "just in case!" Lesson learned the hard way, I guess.

Then aunt Kelsie came and spent the afternoon and evening with us. Finn loved the extra attention and she even got to give him a bath. I appreciated the help and the companionship. Hopefully we can do it again soon!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I've never seen Finn in person, but I don't think he looks too big at all! With these preemies, we've gotta get those pounds on them! Jaleah has become quite the picky eater and it's so frustrating, so I wouldn't worry at all that he IS eating a lot. :)

The parking thing.. Been there, done that! Haha :) Actually, I've done the same thing twice.. where I forgot my entire wallet. Parking places WILL let you leave without paying. You just press the little customer service button if no one is there and tell them the situation. They take your name, address, and license plate and give you a slip and send you a bill. You can either mail in a check or drop off your payment with the slip the next time you're there. I realize it sounds like I do this all the time, but really just twice! :)

Stacy Thomas said...

That is SO helpful to know! Hopefully I won't do it again, but now I know.