Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Tuesday, March 23

Parenting Lesson #1

Okay, it is probably more like lesson #553, but I feel like this is the first one for learning to discipline Finn. We have always taught him to be "gentle" around people and we tell him "stop" and redirect him if he is getting into things he shouldn't. Well, Finn has started slapping people when they hold him. He does it mainly to me (probably because I hold him the most). He isn't mad or angry (he often smiles when he is doing it!) and I don't think he is trying to hurt me, but he hits hard and he often won't stop. Jim hates it and tells him to stop hitting momma. Well, I mentioned it to Finn's development teacher, Deb, yesterday when she was here for the EI visit and she gave me a great suggestion. She said it doesn't matter WHY he is doing it (I was trying to explain his behavior) it just matters that he needs to stop. So, every time he does it, she said to put him down and not to pick him up until he has calmed down. She said he should learn quickly if we do it consistently; slapping=being put down. Yay! I hope it works. Now, if only she can get him to stop rolling over on his changing table when we are trying to change his diaper!

Jane, the PT, came with for the EI visit, too and Finn was majorly showing off for her. He got up on his hands and knees by himself and started rocking! Now, keep in mind it was only for a second or two, but he NEVER does that. He proceeded to "play" with her for over half an hour! He didn't get upset and frustrated like usual and he really worked hard. I said it is like "playing with lots of rules!" He was reaching over to the side when he was standing by himself next to the couch! Deb pointed out to me that he is making leaps and bounds at every visit. I need to remember that when I get frustrated that he isn't crawling yet. He IS progressing, which is what is important.

If you have noticed, our March for Babies link is broken, which means you can't make online donations right now to our walk. I have contact technical support and they are working on it. In the meantime, if you want to make a donation, just email me (stacy.thomas97@yahoo.com) and I can help you. Thank you for your patience. I'm hoping it will be back working in a day or two!

And a very special happy birthday to our favorites twins! Lily and Juliette are ONE today! I can't believe it has been a year already. I hope you get to eat some cake or do something fun today. We'll see you on Thursday to celebrate!

2 comments:

kborn said...

Congrats to Finn. And good luck with the rolling of the table...I think about 1 is when I gave up with the table...and Mike still tries and would prefer as he hates floor changes. Anyway, sounds like Finn's a different little guy!!

Stacy Thomas said...

I've considered the floor, but then Finn just thinks he has that much more room to roll!

Miss you guys. When you have some time to breath, let us know. We'd love to see you!

We still haven't opened Finn's presents! We were waiting until we saw you again, but haven't in a while. Maybe we shouldn't wait any more! Ha, ha.